Monday, October 8, 2007

Is Hypertext a Collage?

Is Hypertext a Collage?

In Hypertext as Collage-Writing, George Landow brings forth the claim that hypertext is becoming the collage of the online world. Personally I’m not excited. The form of the hypertext collage in my mind is too blocky to mundane. For me, collages have always been about the abstract message, how to bring out what you are trying to say in an artistic way. The imperfection is what makes the collage interesting. For instance, if one were to make a collage about families, it would be the way you cut the pictures, or rip out the articles that would make it intriguing; to me an online collage or hypertext does not hold the realness of the artwork. I mean you can look at a painting online all you want, but to see it in real life is the true delight, to see the brushstrokes up close and the minute detail. Maybe I just don’t understand the concept of hypertext writing correctly but to me it just does not hold the same feeling as the real thing.

No comments: