Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Disney for The Family, Maybe Not!

Disney for The Family, Maybe Not!

I found this essay by Brenda Laurel to be highly personal which is nice for a change. I can take pity on her and her struggles to create lasting memories with her daughter. As a child of divorced parents, I can remember my father always trying to make connections with my brother and I, to find that he was almost always unsuccessful. It is not that we did not love him, although it is closer to that point today, it was just that we were always closer with our mother and felt that we had to see him against our will. However, back to the point of the essay, which I have to admit I do not completely understand. I think the point that is being made is that as we advance in media the old technologies loose there magic, like the submarine ride at Disney. How many times have you gone to a carnival or amusement park and can not help but to think this is so fake. With that being said I think the innocence of places like Disney has died. The other point is the morality of amusements. I remember the days when everyone would stand on line and this was no problem, but now instead we see line passes, speed lanes, all special programs that once paid for allows the person to have a shorter or no waiting time at a ride. I don’t know it I agree with this. I think that one values the ride more if you wait for it. The same goes for the line holders, the one member in the family who stands on line and then the rest of the family comes up as he or she is about to get on the ride. I think this takes away from the ride and the lessons that can be learned from waiting. I know that in our world of faster, faster, faster, we want everything in an instant but maybe just once it would be nice to wait, for as we know good things come to those who wait.

No comments: