Thursday, November 8, 2007

Cyber Evolution


Cyber Evolution

The Cyberspace Dialectic

How does one view the computer and the immerging cyber world? . As a tool, as the future or maybe a threat. The advances in technology have in some minds created an artificial evolution. Humans are almost being forced to adapt to new media technologies or fear becoming extinct. We fear dying out by not fitting in to the rest of society in the digital age. Now I guess in some ways that makes me a “realist”, someone who relishes on real experience and so what if I am. Now don’t get me wrong I appreciate the advances in technology just as much as anyone else but I fear that we as humans have allowed ourselves to become computer slaves, to allow this forced technological evolution to take us in a direction I don’t think we always need to go. I think at times instead of allowing our human existence to revolve around a box with a screen, we should allow ourselves to step out into nature. I can not count how many times I say to myself; today would be a nice day for a walk and then never go for one. Yet at the same time, I could not count how many times I have sat down at my computer when I have had any amount of free time. The emerging cyberspace world is exciting and exhilarating, but at the same time as we become pioneers in this digital world I hope we don’t forget to spend time in the real one.

No comments: